How to change your surname after marriage:


(As your marriage celebrant I will also provide you with all of this info in an easy to read guide, along with a copy of your ceremony on your wedding day)


Applying for your Marriage Certificate Extract (needed to change your name)


Unfortunately the marriage certificate issued by your celebrant can not be used to change your name.  Another certificate called the marriage certificate extract needs to be ordered from the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  This certificate looks more like a birth certificate.  Once you have this certificate you can take it around to all the places you wish to change your name (e.g. Queensland Transport, Passport Office and financial institutions).


After your wedding day your celebrant will have already posted all of the legal documentation needed to register your marriage to Births, Deaths and Marriages Qld, so once they receive your application for the marriage certificate extract they will just match up the information in their database.  


Applying for a marriage certificate:


To apply for a marriage certificate, you must:

• complete the Marriage certificate application form (click here to download)

• provide proof of your identity

• pay the scheduled fee – the fee is approximately $37 however please check the Queensland Government website to check the latest fees.


Lodging your form:


You can lodge your form with the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages by post (Postal address PO Box 15188, City East QLD 4002), in person at the Brisbane Registry (110 George Street, Brisbane), or in person at your local Queensland Magistrates Court.  The certificate will normally take a couple of weeks to be sent to you, however if you require it urgently you can pay extra for priority processing.


Applications can not be faxed or emailed.


Payment options:


If you are lodging your form in person, you may pay by cash, cheque, credit card (Visa or MasterCard only) or money order.


If you are posting your form, you may pay by cheque, credit card (Visa or MasterCard only) or money order.


Make cheques or money orders payable to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.


Proving your identity:


Before a certificate is released, an applicant’s entitlement to the document must be established and proof of identity produced in accordance with the eligibility criteria.


Photocopies must be certified by a qualified witness as being "a correct copy of the document".


Applicants are required to provide:

• One form of identification from each list (at least one containing a signature); or

• Two forms of identification from List 2 and one form of identification from List 3 (at least one containing a signature), if unable to provide identification from List 1.


List 1: Linkage between identity and person 3: Evidence of residential address

• Current Australian photo driver’s license

• Current Australian passport

• Current overseas passport

• Current Australian Firearms license

• Current Defence Force or Police Service photo ID card

• Over 18’s ID card.  


List 2: Evidence of identity operating in the community  

• Current Medicare card

• Current financial institution debit or credit card with your signature and full name or passbook

• Current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth or State Government

• Educational institution student identity document (must include photo and/or signature) or statement of enrollment

• School or other educational report, less than twelve months old

• Current document of identity issued by the Passport Office

• Naturalisation, citizenship or immigration papers issued by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs

• Full birth certificate

• Security guard/crowd control license


List 3: Evidence of residential address  

• Recent utility account (gas, electricity, home phone, etc) with current residential address

• Recent financial institution statement with current residential address

• Rent/lease agreement with current residential address

• Rates notice with current residential address

• A renewal notice for vehicle registration or driver license for coming period with current residential address

• Recent official correspondence from Government Service Providers (not from this agency)


Proof of identity documents are to be in the English language, otherwise these must be translated by an accredited translator. The official translation document is to accompany the original documents.  


Certification of photocopies of proof of identity documents:

As part of establishing proof of identity, copies of documents submitted to the Registry in support of an application must be certified as a true and correct copy by a qualified witness.


The following persons are considered to be qualified witnesses and are able to certify photocopies of documents as being “a correct copy of the document”:

• Justice of the Peace

• Commissioner for Declarations

• Barrister/Solicitor

• Notary Public


If you are submitting your application at the Brisbane Registry or a Magistrates Court, client service officers are able to sight original proof of identity documents submitted in support of your application.


Change of name timeframe:


If you are wishing to change your name it’s best to change it on everything in the first 12 months after your wedding, that way there will be no charge (ie you will just receive a new drivers license, passport etc). However if you leave it longer than 12 months you will need to pay for a new copy of these documents.


If you have any questions at all about applying for your marriage certificate extract or the change of name process please don’t hesitate to contact me.




Kristy Ellis  

Sunshine Coast Wedding Celebrant

Sunshine Coast Wedding Celebrant - Marriage Celebrant Sunshine Coast - Celebrant - Wedding Celebrant Sunshine Coast - Civil Celebrant Sunshine Coast - Renewal of Vows - Caloundra Wedding Celebrant - Maleny Marriage Celebrant - Montville Wedding Celebrant - Mooloolana Civil Marriage Celebrant - Alexandra Headland Wedding Celebrant - Maroochydore Celebrant - Coolum Marriage Celebrant - Sunshine Beach Wedding Celebrant - Noosa Wedding Celebrant - Noosa Marriage Celebrant - Noosa Civil Celebrant - Noosaville Celebrant - Sunshine Coast Wedding Celebrant - Servicing all areas.Young Wedding Celebrant. Modern Celebrant. Young Marriage Celebrant. Fun Marriage Celebrant. Fun Wedding Celebrant. Personalised Ceremony.


home profilevideolove notesphoto galleryblogprocesslinkscontactFAQs
© 2010 Weddings With Kristy

Website by Magicdust